Airborne Travel Insurance

Travel insurance could cover medical expenses, trip cancellation or delays, lost or stolen baggage and personal liability while you’re travelling. The type of cover you need will depend on the countries you’re visiting, the activities you’ll be doing and the length of your trip. You’ll also need to state whether you want travel insurance for a single trip, multiple trips or for backpacking.

Why do I need travel insurance?

While we all love to get away from it all, accidents do happen - as well as medical bills, travel insurance covers delays, lost items and thefts. All these can prove costly if you’re not properly insured.

A travel insurance policy can provide the security you need while on holiday. It offers you peace of mind, knowing that, should you need it, you’ll be well looked after, have your belongings replaced, or have alternative accommodation and travel arrangements if required.

The costs of these are more expensive than you’d think. Medical costs abroad can easily run into the tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands, if you need specialist treatment or an emergency evacuation.

Something as small as a lost passport can have huge consequences. You’ll need to arrange a replacement, or emergency passport, you might have to make alternative travel arrangements and you may need additional accommodation while you wait for your replacement to be issued. All of this can add up fast, over something that can happen in an instant.

So, whether you’re taking the family to the beach, a student on your gap year taking the trip of a lifetime or simply making the most of your retirement, there’s sure to be a policy to keep you covered.

What type of travel insurance is right for me?

Picking the right travel insurance policy depends on a few things.

The most common types of policy are:

Single trip: This insurance will cover you for one short trip.
Annual multi-trip: If you’re taking more than one trip a year, then a multi-trip policy will likely be the most cost-effective. There may be a limit on the total number of days abroad you’re covered for.
Worldwide: Generally, travel insurance for trips within Europe are cheaper. This is largely because medical costs in countries outside the EU can be much higher.

Winter sports: You’ll need this for skiing, snowboarding or other winter activities that are generally a bit more dangerous and might require special provisions. They can also involve expensive specialist equipment, which this policy should cover.
Cruise: Covers the specific risks and activities associated with this type of holiday.

Family: This covers members of a family in one simple policy. Some insurance providers will also offer free cover to anyone under 18 in the family.
Group: This could suit you if you’re travelling with up to 10 friends or family members, if you’re all travelling from the same country.
Business travel: If you’re travelling for work, then business travel is tailored for your needs